Sunday, May 21, 2006

GHOSTS IN THE CLASSROOM



Lately, a couple of students in my classroom have turned a few simple journal topics into a platform of sorts, a Christian platform of sorts. Last week I tossed out a simple journal topic, one that generally raises a bit of discussion, The topic was do you believe in ghosts? I related watching several Ghost Hunter episodes on the sci fi station, and found myself believing in
spirits, ghosts, what ever you wish to call them. In fact, those guys calling themselves TAPS have really grabbed my attention.
I can't wait to get home Wednesday nights to catch the next show. So far, my favorite one has been the light house
investigation where they actually caught an apparition of sorts moving about on the top level of the light house. Perhaps I'm naive but ya gotta believe in two guys who work for Roto Rooter during the day to be telling the truth. Even if they aren't finding gthosts , to tell you the truth, the show is really fun to watch even when they are just debunking noises in your house. For example, you hear a plate drop off the counter every night at midnight, and TAPS comes in and films your 24 pound cat knocking it off with its paw at the same time you noticed the noise each night.
Any way, to make a long story short, I just asked if the students believed in ghosts, a topic I have safely used for years, and one of the girls who has seriously annoyed me this year shot her hand up immediately. I just knew I had to call on her
but I was not eager for her response. She stated, "I believe in the one spirit, the true spirit, the holy spirit!" She then smirked, turned to her classroom friend as if to say, hey we got the liberal left wing _____! Any way, I suppose I did make a smart
remark, but it wasn't that serious. I consider myself a Christian, but an inclusive one, not an exclusive one.......
Since this story has additional addendums, and will need to be told later, just to get to the point, I am now being accused of
challenging a student's Christianity. If anyone ever says to me again, " I have great admiration for teacher", I am afraid of what I might say. THIS WEEK SHOULD BE FUN! I will put my call into the ACLU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home